Ahhh, it’s that time of year again when we start making lists of all the things we want to do better at, and at the top of most people’s list is the same thing: be healthy. Be it through exercise, healthy eating, massages, or regular chiropractic visits, it seems to be on everyone’s minds right now.
Our January Utah Chiropractic and Massage Newsletter has a special section on not eating sugar (which after the past week of holiday indulging, sounds pretty good right now.
Check it out:
10 Reasons NOT to Eat Sugar!
Sugar, in its many forms, is an increasingly common ingredient in processed foods. Many of us eat the equivalent of 53 teaspoons of white sugar every day!
1. Sugar contributes to tooth decay because it decreases the effectiveness of a particular type of white blood cell that “eats” harmful bacteria.
2. Sugar causes the body to release more adrenalin, which may explain hyperactivity in young children.
3. Calcium loss in urine occurs when a person consumes a soft drink containing sugar.
4. Ingesting sugar makes the pancreas work harder to produce insulin. Diabetes results when the overworked pancreas can no longer eliminate sugar from the blood stream.
5. Bleached with chlorine, when white refined sugar is exposed to certain organic compounds it converts to dioxin, which is a lethal compound.
6. Sugar can hinder weight loss because high insulin levels (see number 4 above) cause the body to retain any excess carbohydrates as fat.
7. Sugar increases the likelihood of chronic fatigue.
8. Sugar increases mood swings, irritability and anxiety.
9. Sugar compromises the immune system because it lowers the efficiency of white blood cells for a minimum of five hours after ingesting the sugar.
10. Eating sugar can decrease helpful high-density cholesterol (HDLs) and result in an increase in harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
Need to sweeten your food? Raisins, dates or honey are safe and simple alternatives. They’re easily available in many forms and can be the perfectly natural way to satisfy any sweet tooth!
Hopefully that helps you with your new years resolutions. If you’re resolving to finally get healthy and visit the chiropractor to see what can be done about that achy neck, today is the day to schedule your appointment. It’s not hard, promise! Just call 801-748-0056 or drop by our Midvale, Utah on the northwest corner of State Street and 7200 South (in the same parking lot as the Shane Company…the one with those commercials 🙂